Monday, May 23, 2022

How to Tell Your Partner You Wet the Bed


Most adults with bedwetting problems wear protection at night to maintain comfort, hygiene, and make cleanup easier. Some of these individuals feel ashamed about having to wear adult diapers to bed. This can be particularly embarrassing for those who wear disposable tape tab style diapers as they have to deal with the tell-tale crinkling sound the diaper makes as they move around, caused by the plastic outer cover of the diaper. The embarrassment of wearing diapers to manage bedwetting, however, can be overcome with the support and understanding of loved ones, and using the tips mentioned in this post can help with gaining their support.               

Many adults in these circumstances are reluctant to get intimate with their significant other for fear their partner will reject them when they find out they wet the bed and have to wear protection every night. This can be a nerve-racking prospect for most people, but there are ways to make it easier to have a conversation about it. 


I’m offering some suggestions for some things you can say to your partner to break the news of your bedwetting and the use of protection in a playful, lighthearted way. Before saying these things to your loved one it's good to lay some groundwork – this includes setting aside an appropriate amount of time to discuss the issue with them as well as having an icebreaker to start the conversation. 


You might begin the conversation by saying, “We've been seeing each other for a long time and I care for you very much. There's something I need to tell you and I was wondering if we could sit down and talk for a bit. I wanted to talk about this many times before but felt too embarrassed to bring it up. This is very difficult to talk about so bear with me. I have a health problem that I've been dealing with since I was a child and I'd like to discuss it with you.” 


If these preliminary remarks land well with your partner, you can follow them by saying something like what I’ve provided below. 


  • “I have a medical condition called nocturnal enuresis, which is the clinical term for bedwetting. I manage it by wearing adult size diapers to bed every night. It's like having a rainstorm in my bed every night – in fact I predict there's going to be flash floods tonight so I better put on my diapers before going to bed. As you can see I've managed to keep my sense of humor about it and I hope this doesn't affect your feelings toward me.”

  • “I wanted to let you know that I wet the bed every night. To manage it I wear adult diapers to bed – it's either that or wear a raincoat to bed.

  • “Every night I have a problem with wetting the bed. As a result, I'm in the wetness protection program – I wear diapers and plastic pants every night to protect the bed.

  • “I wet the bed every night and wear adult size disposable diapers to manage it. This is the best way to deal with the issue ‒ the only alternative is to buy flood insurance. The nighttime attire I have to wear to bed are adult size versions of the Pampers the babies wear – the reason I'm mentioning this is that I wanted to give you an idea of what the products look like beforehand so you're not surprised.”


I realize that you probably feel terrified at the thought of divulging this secret, but if you and your loved one have a strong relationship and if the person is a loving, caring person, more than likely it will not affect their feelings for you.        


As you can see from my suggestions above, I’m recommending you use some amount of humor to address the situation. But before you decide on that approach, you should consider your personal style and that of your partner. Do what makes you (and them!) comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment